M3 Creative Project - Part 1

 For my chosen topic I decided bring awareness to Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill (officially titled the Parental Rights in Education Bill) which limits teachers/staff's ability to teach and discuss LGBT+ topics of gender and sexuality. The creator of the bill, Joe Harding, claims that this bill is not hateful and is empowering to parents who want to know what's going on in their children's education. He and the supporters of this bill state that gender identity and sexual orientation are inappropriate topics for primary school children to learn or be questioning. 

My preliminary sketches are based on how ironic I think this bill is. There are people that will agree with the idea of this bill, and yet do not recognize how much traditional gender roles coupled with straightness is very much pushed onto people. And they don't realize this because it's accepted as the norm, and anything not within those parameters is "deviant". Most of the ideas came to me as plain text in a mainly satirical format, and I would play around with size and color.



Comments