M4 CP - Part 2 - Book Cover Redesign - Midnight Sun



         I'm a long time fan of this series and it was hard to imagine a different looks for the book cover. I wanted to keep the same feel to it as much as possible. So felt the best way I could do that was to play around with the elements I already had in front of me and push it a little bit darker. My initial idea was to have this pomegranate and a heart next to one another. But then I went with blending the two together through layers and erasing. The law of proximity was useful in separating my text from the cover image.
         
         I thought I wanted to do one half of the pomegranate and the other half a heart, but as I erased I saw the shape form where it was hard to tell where one began and the other ended. Including the hands is also an element I borrowed from the original Twilight book cover, in which Edward's hands are displayed holding an apple, facing towards Bella and the reader. Since this book is from his perspective, I thought the hands facing the other way would fit especially given the biblical themes. In Bella's head, he's giving her an apple that represents knowledge; to Edward, he is Hades, a monster who is gifting Bella 'the fruit of the dead' but also his heart. I think this resembles Edward's struggle in the book with his love for a human and his intense self-loathing for being a vampire. He frequently talks about himself with a disgusted tone and refers to himself as a monster. Notice how neat the original covers look, especially Twilight. Midnight Sun has that slight drip of pomegranate juice. I wanted mine to be messier because I think it reflects Edward's inner turmoil and how he would rip our his own heart to protect Bella, even from himself.



Comments